Advertising Agency Archives - Ryan Lum
I’ve been going on interviews with several advertising agencies, each one being unique and different. I’d like to share my process with you and explain some of the DO’s and DONT’s of interviewing with agencies.
- Do Your Research. What makes this agency unique? Why do you want to work with them? In researching each agency, I found each one to be unique and exciting in their own way.
- Look Presentable. It is funny only because all the agencies I have visited have a more business casual/casual workplace; however, this is not a time to skimp on the details. Everyone else will be in suit/tie, so don’t give them a reason to doubt you and be professional.
- Question? All these interview websites say this is the most important question an interviewer will ask. In advertising, it’s probably the most important aspect; however, don’t fake it. Take an interview how you would take a meeting with a client. It is important to understand the people behind the desk and understand what they are looking for.
- Be Prepared. Have your resume, portfolio, maybe even a laptop. Have everything in order.
- Don’t go off-topic. You only have a short amount of time to meet with these individuals. Ask what is important and relevant. Portray the message.
- Dont Stress Out! These are people. Unless there is a bright white lamp shining in your eyes and you are bound to a chair…there is no need to worry. They have been in the same place as you. Speak with confidence and be proud of your work!
Two men are hiking in a forest when they disturb a bear. It is the time of year when bears are easily upset and, true to form, the bear comes after them. The men run for their lives. They have a good start on the animal but four legs are better than two and the bear gets closer and closer. Suddenly one of the men stops, takes off his backpack and sits down on a log.
“What the hell are you doing?” his friend asks, not wanting to stop. He can see the bear’s teeth bared.
“I’m changing my shoes,” he replies calmly, removing his heavy hiking boots and slipping on a pair of fancy running shoes.
“You’re crazy!” his friend shrieks, running to a spot behind a large tree. “You’ll never outrun a bear, even in those.”
“I don’t have to outrun the bear,” the man says, standing up and jogging alongside his friend. “I only have to outrun you.”
It was funny because one of the individuals on the Agency tour told this story…although a little skewed. I couldn’t help but laugh in the inside because I never thought I’d hear this story in person, but I was wrong.
I remember reading this old story in a book, “The Perfect Pitch” by Jon Steel. As I wind down for the night, I can’t help but feel a little giddy inside. I’m excited. There are so many great San Diego Advertising Agencies out there, and I was lucky enough to be able to take a tour of three of them. I wish Ad2SD did more of these.. shucks.
On the agenda tomorrow? Meeting…and then I’m going bowling with an old friend. Anyways, sleep tight and don’t let the bed bugs bite! Hey, it’s spring.. I heard they are out in numbers! ;)